How To Sous Vide Veal Chops
This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
How To Sous Vide Veal Chops. Delicious Veal Chops cooked to perfection in the Sous Vide with a garlic marinade served in a Portuguese creamy garlic sauce.
Sous Vide Veal Chops
Today I am going to show you how to make the most amazing tender veal chops in the sous vide.
I managed to get a pair of delicious veal chops from the butchers and veal chops is something I have always wanted to do in the sous vide so I am super excited to see how it turns out and share it with you here on RecipeThis.com.
I am going with a Portuguese version of Sous Vide Veal Chops, known locally here in Portugal as Costeleta De Vitela.
Costeleta De Vitela is veal chops that have been served in a creamy addictive garlic sauce. The veal chops look like they are drowning in a creamy garlic sauce and you then mop up the delicious creamy sauce with potatoes and plenty of freshly cooked bread.
It is garlic heaven and when you add to this how tender the veal chops are in the sous vide you have a meal made in heaven.
Living in Portugal since the summer of 2008 I have become obsessed with the delicious Portuguese cuisine. Many restaurants serve delicious steaks and veal chops in a sauce with potatoes and vegetables. This is just one take on them of many. But if you are allergic to garlic, its not the country to visit!
Sous Vide Veal Chops For Beginners
If you’ve been following along for the last few Mondays, you will know that we are dedicating each Monday for an entire year to the Sous Vide cooking process. We’re coming close to end of our third month and I love learning how to use the Sous Vide. When my husband worked as a sous chef they were everywhere and its nice to see the sous vide coming to life in so many home kitchens around the world.
This Monday is dedicated to Sous Vide Veal Chops because it feels like the veal chop is always forgotten about and is not a common food on many family menus. We all love pork chops and lamb chops, but veal chops can taste amazing when you cook them right and that is why I wanted to show how to sous vide veal chops today.
How To Sous Vide Veal Chops?
Sous Vide Veal Chops is easy. Especially if you are following my lead and making Portuguese Veal Chops.
It really is a case of bagging up your main ingredients and sealing them using your Sous Vide Sealing System and then when the veal chops have cooked in the Sous Vide making a quick creamy sauce with your whole garlic cloves.
If you have followed me for a while you will know that I LOVE saving money and HATE food waste. That is why making veal chops and using the garlic cloves twice appeals to me so much.
The whole garlic cloves are cooked in the bag with the veal chops in the Sous Vide this gives the veal chops a delicious flavour but also allows the garlic to cook and be perfect for your creamy and addictive end sauce.
Sous Vide Veal Chops Is Simple:
- Peel all your garlic cloves
- Season your veal chops with salt and pepper
- Sauté your garlic cloves with extra virgin olive oil
- Sear your veal chops for about a minute on each side to add a garlic flavour to the skin
- Bag up your garlic cloves with your veal chops and seal for the Sous Vide
- Preheat your water bath
- Cook in a water bath for 90 minutes
- Remove the veal chops and the garlic from the sealed bags
- Make your creamy sauce with the leftover garlic
- Serve your garlic sauce with your veal chops
- That is it. It really is that simple to cook veal chops in the Sous Vide!
I love this recipe for veal chops in the Sous Vide because it is so EASY. It is perfect for Sous Vide Beginners and for getting you going and gaining that experience. I love the fact that over the last 12 weeks we have gone from ready sealed Sous Vide Lemon Pepper Salmon to making a delicious sauce and cooking something as amazing as veal chops.
Sous Vide Veal Chops Time & Temp?
We cooked our Sous Vide Veal Chops at 56.5 degrees Celsius for 1.5 hours. This produced tender veal chops that were of restaurant quality. We didn’t cook them for as long as our Sous Vide Lamb Chops this is because when we cooked lamb chops, they were thicker, whilst our veal chops are long but thin.
Sous Vide Veal Chops Creamy Sauce
For me it is all about the delicious creamy sauce that the veal chops are swimming in, that makes the dish so delicious.
I have many versions of a lazy creamy garlic sauce that I use with my Portuguese veal chops. Let me give you some yummy ideas and then you can choose which version of creamy garlic sauce you will cook using your pantry staples.
- Soft Cheese – My all-time favourite is to mix soft cheese aka Philadelphia with a little milk, garlic and white wine. It tastes amazing and you would think you had used double cream it is that good.
- Greek Yoghurt – This is my back up plan if I don’t have any soft cheese in the fridge. You can mix Greek yoghurt with a little white wine and your garlic cloves and you have a sauce.
- Coconut Milk – If you follow a dairy free diet and are looking for a plan B then coconut milk is amazing as a sauce. Mix it with your wine and garlic as usual and it is so thick and creamy and heavenly. I would also say it is the easiest creamy sauce to make. You could also use your own favourite cream too such as double cream, single cream, mascarpone etc.
Our Sous Vide Journey So Far
If you would like to catch up on our Sous Vide story so far then here are the other posts:
- Sous Vide For Beginners (our introduction)
- Sous Vide Starter Kit (our accessories)
- Sous Vide Lemon Pepper Salmon
- Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin
- Sous Vide Turkey Breast
- Sous Vide Baby Potatoes
- How To Use Sous Vide Vacuum Sealer
- Sous Vide Lamb Chops
- Sous Vide Leg Of Lamb
- The Sous Vide App
- Sous Vide Marinating Chicken (Last Week)
- Sous Vide Veal Chops
As you can see todays veal chops in the Sous Vide is our 12th post.
How To Sous Vide Veal Chops
Main Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 Medium Veal Chops
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 20 Garlic Cloves
- Salt & Pepper
Garlic Sauce Ingredients:
- 6 Tbsp Greek Yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp White Wine
- 1 Tsp Garlic Mayonnaise
- Place your veal chops on a chopping board and season with salt and pepper.
- Peel 20 medium cloves of garlic and place the garlic cloves, with the olive oil into your Instant Pot. Place the Instant Pot on sauté.
- Sauté your garlic cloves for a few minutes or until they start to get a brown colour. Add into the Instant Pot salt and pepper and mix your garlic.
- Toss the veal chops in the garlic and give them a slight searing.
- Bag up your sealing bags. Placing half the garlic and 1 veal chop into each bag and then sealing it ready for its water bath.
- Set the Sous Vide temperature to 56.5c/133.7f and place your sealed bags into your water bath. Cook for 90 minutes.
- When the Sous Vide is done separate your veal chops with your garlic. Load the garlic back into the Instant Pot and place it back on sauté. Add in your sauce ingredients and keep stirring it with a wooden spoon until you have a thick sauce.
- Serve the veal chops in a bowl loaded with your creamy garlic sauce.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Facebook Group | Pinterest | Twitter
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more:
WOW! This is the way to cook meat especially veal chops. These came out so tender and tasty i just also had to brown them in my air fryer to give them abit of colour. The hubby was in love with them and is getting me to try other things. Thank you for the clear instructions as it is not the easiest kitchen gadget to get my old head around!