This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Homemade Steak Pie loaded with roast potatoes, peas and gravy. A delicious home cooked meal where everything is cooked from scratch including the best ever shortcrust pastry.
When I decided to dedicate 2018 on the blog to a majority Mrs Beeton theme, I asked around and asked any pensioner I knew what their favourite foods was growing up.
These were all people that were raised on the Mrs Beeton Book Of Household Management. The one thing they all had in common was homemade steak pie.
Some preferred their homemade steak pie with lamb, some with beef, some with kidney added, but the main opinion was that homemade steak pie always ruled!
Homemade Steak Pie
My way to have a homemade steak pie is with delicious air fryer roast potatoes, garden peas and lots of thick beef gravy.
I absolutely hate kidneys and it reminds me of when my mum used to make my dad steak and kidney pie.
I am sure it was delicious, and I am sure at the time my mums’ steak and kidney pie was my dad’s favourite food (and probably still is).
But I hated it and still the thought of kidneys makes me want to throw up. It always filled the kitchen with its kidney smell when I came home from school and as a vegetarian at the time, you couldn’t get any worse even if you tried.
As you know I am obsessed with my kitchen gadgets and in this homemade steak pie recipe I will be pairing up my two favourite kitchen gadgets:
- The Air Fryer = It will be used to make perfect roast potatoes
- The Instant Pot = It will be used to make perfectly tender pie filling
While the air fryer and the instant pot are working hard, I can be making my homemade shortcrust pastry for the topping.
Then when the homemade steak pie is cooking in the oven I can be warming up the peas and making sure we have some gravy ready.
It makes it so much easier to make homemade steak pie, without it feeling like it is a real effort to put together.
But best of all we have leftovers. I am all for spare food that you can make from the same batch and then freeze for later. Not only did we feed the four of us for Sunday dinner but it also did:
- A full container of homemade steak pie filling
- A full homemade steak pie ready for the oven for another day
Homemade Steak Pie With Roast Potatoes & Peas
- If not already diced, dice your beef stewing steak and place it into the Instant Pot. Peel and dice your vegetables and add it to the Instant Pot too.
- Place the Instant Pot on the sauté setting and with a tablespoon of olive oil sauté it for a minute or two.
- Cancel the sauté, and place 500ml of beef stock into the Instant Pot. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, set the valve to sealing and cook for 50 minutes.
- Whilst the beef is cooking make your shortcrust pastry. Then peel and dice your potatoes into roast potato shapes.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, drain the liquid from the Instant Pot and then add some gravy granules to the Instant Pot among the beef and vegetables. Add a little liquid at a time until you have a medium to thick beef gravy.
- Add the seasoning and give it one last stir.
- Fill a pie dish with homemade steak pie filling. Then layer your shortcrust pastry on top. Add some egg wash and create a couple of slits so that the pie can breathe while cooking.
- Bake your pie in the oven for 40 minutes at 180c/360f or until the pastry is golden.
- While your pie is cooking make the sides. Place the roast potatoes in the air fryer with 1tsp of olive oil and cook for 10 minutes at 180c/360f. Boil your peas in warm water in a small pan.
- 10. Finally, add a little extra of your stock from earlier with a little bit more of your gravy granules to make a thick gravy to go with your homemade pie.
- 11. Serve together warm.