Welcome to my frugal meals: one chicken 3 family meals – lemon chicken and rice recipe.
Well I said I could get three meals out of one chicken and here I am with the final part of the challenge and some lemon chicken made out of the remaining chicken breast that we had from our whole chicken.
I love to have a chicken breast with some rice. It just tastes delicious. You have the moisture and the juices from the chicken coming down onto the rice and it is also a very filling meal.
You cook the chicken at the same time as the rice and then add the two when they are cooked at the same time.
I also find that if you serve it with some tomatoes it is even nicer!!!
In this recipe I am going even more frugal with the lemon used in the recipe coming from my own lemon tree in my garden. I love my lemon tree and I remember when I moved in last year, my mum came around and took the majority of them and we ended up running out. And this year it has produced so many that I gave loads away. So I have to remember to do a lot more recipes with lemon in.
If you want to go frugal with your meals then I recommend that you use a chicken breast between two of you and then bulk it up with delicious vegetables and a carb such as rice or potatoes.
How Frugal Is Lemon Chicken?
Our lemon chicken works out at 0,78€ for a family of two or 0,39€ each. Or if you are based in America then this is just $0.45 per mouth that you have to feed!
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 1 Large Onion (peeled and diced)
- 1Tsp Garlic Puree
- 1 Large Lemon (juice and rind)
- 100g Greek Yoghurt
- 1Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1Tsp Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- In a large pan add the olive oil, onion and garlic puree and sauté on a medium heat until the onions have softened.
- Add the lemon juice and rind and mix well among the onion and the olive oil juices.
- Add the whole chicken breast to the pan and turn up the heat and cook on both sides. This will give it a lovely colour and soak the outside in the lemon and oil juices.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a chopping board and cut into large chunks (like the recipe photo).
- To the pan add the Greek yoghurt and the seasoning and mix well. Add the chunks of chicken and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
We have put together 22 favourite frugal recipes for you to enjoy and also frugal diaries, frugal tips and so much more. They are delicious recipes that any family would be happy to have on the dinner table.
Forget a life of frozen chickens and frozen vegetables this is your chance to enjoy real food at the same time as saving money.
These are in fact the recipes we personally used when we went frugal.
This ebook is just $2.99 on the Kindle and you can get your hands on it by clicking here.