Welcome to my frugal meals: one chicken 3 family meals – lemon chicken and rice recipe.
Well I said I could get three meals out of one chicken and here I am with the final part of the challenge and some lemon chicken made out of the remaining chicken breast that we had from our whole chicken.
I love to have a chicken breast with some rice. It just tastes delicious. You have the moisture and the juices from the chicken coming down onto the rice and it is also a very filling meal.
You cook the chicken at the same time as the rice and then add the two when they are cooked at the same time.
I also find that if you serve it with some tomatoes it is even nicer!!!
In this recipe I am going even more frugal with the lemon used in the recipe coming from my own lemon tree in my garden. I love my lemon tree and I remember when I moved in last year, my mum came around and took the majority of them and we ended up running out. And this year it has produced so many that I gave loads away. So I have to remember to do a lot more recipes with lemon in.
If you want to go frugal with your meals then I recommend that you use a chicken breast between two of you and then bulk it up with delicious vegetables and a carb such as rice or potatoes.#Frugal Meals: 1 #Chicken = 3 Family Meals (lemon chicken and rice) @recipe_thisClick To Tweet
How Frugal Is Lemon Chicken?
Our lemon chicken works out at 0,78€ for a family of two or 0,39€ each. Or if you are based in America then this is just $0.45 per mouth that you have to feed!
- In a large pan add the olive oil, onion and garlic puree and sauté on a medium heat until the onions have softened.
- Add the lemon juice and rind and mix well among the onion and the olive oil juices.
- Add the whole chicken breast to the pan and turn up the heat and cook on both sides. This will give it a lovely colour and soak the outside in the lemon and oil juices.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a chopping board and cut into large chunks (like the recipe photo).
- To the pan add the Greek yoghurt and the seasoning and mix well. Add the chunks of chicken and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice.