Welcome to my frugal family meals: Cornish Pasty Stuffed Bread Bowls.
If you have been reading my blog regularly you’ll know that we are dedicating this month to frugal recipes. These are recipes that are easy to make from scratch but can also save you money at the same time. Last Wednesday we featured our Frugal Cornish Pasties.
These are absolutely delicious and so, so cheap to make. But there is ONE HUGE problem with them. Because they are rather small pies you need very little filling = lots of leftover Cornish Pasty filling.
So what do you do?
Re-use your Cornish Pasty filling to make the most delicious stuffed bread bowls that you have ever tried. It is like food heaven and a great use of your food and after this you’ll have discovered a new meaning of the word “frugal”.
The filling itself costs just 0,67€ (approx $0.73) and after you have made up four Cornish Pasties you still have 90% of it left for your bread bowls. So on a Sunday lunch you could have the pasties with some steamed vegetables and then on a Monday night you have a supper that is perfect for sharing.
You could also add a little cheese to the top of the bread bowl so that it feels like you’ve made more of an effort when you haven’t really.
Plus to keep it as frugal as possible make sure you turn the insides of the bread into breadcrumbs so that absolutely nothing ends up going to waste.
How Frugal Is Cornish Pasty Stuffed Bread Bowls?
Our cornish pasty stuffed bread rolls recipe works out at 2,47€ for a family of four or 0,62€ each. Or if you are based in America then this is just $0.69 per mouth that you have to feed!
- Cornish Pasty Filling (get the recipe here)
- 1 Large Baguette
- 50g Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- 3Tbsp Olive Oil
- Firstly warm up your Cornish Pasty filling so that it is warm put not piping hot.
- Make sure your bread has been at room temperature so that it is not too hard. Slice the top of it like a pie lid and then remove about ⅔ of the centre. This will then create a big hole for your filling.
- Rub into your hands the olive oil and spread this around the lining of the inside of the bread bowl.
- Fill the bread with the Cornish Pasty filling until it is 90% full.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake in the oven at 170c for 25 minutes or until the centre is nicely hot and the bread is warm.
We have put together 22 favourite frugal recipes for you to enjoy and also frugal diaries, frugal tips and so much more. They are delicious recipes that any family would be happy to have on the dinner table.
Forget a life of frozen chickens and frozen vegetables this is your chance to enjoy real food at the same time as saving money.
These are in fact the recipes we personally used when we went frugal.
This ebook is just $2.99 on the Kindle and you can get your hands on it by clicking here.