Welcome to my frugal family meals: Cornish Pasty Stuffed Bread Bowls.
If you have been reading my blog regularly you’ll know that we are dedicating this month to frugal recipes. These are recipes that are easy to make from scratch but can also save you money at the same time. Last Wednesday we featured our Frugal Cornish Pasties.
These are absolutely delicious and so, so cheap to make. But there is ONE HUGE problem with them. Because they are rather small pies you need very little filling = lots of leftover Cornish Pasty filling.
So what do you do?
Re-use your Cornish Pasty filling to make the most delicious stuffed bread bowls that you have ever tried. It is like food heaven and a great use of your food and after this you’ll have discovered a new meaning of the word “frugal”.
The filling itself costs just 0,67€ (approx $0.73) and after you have made up four Cornish Pasties you still have 90% of it left for your bread bowls. So on a Sunday lunch you could have the pasties with some steamed vegetables and then on a Monday night you have a supper that is perfect for sharing.
You could also add a little cheese to the top of the bread bowl so that it feels like you’ve made more of an effort when you haven’t really and it would turn a lovely light brown colour when been cooked in the airfryer.
Plus to keep it as frugal as possible make sure you turn the insides of the bread into breadcrumbs so that absolutely nothing ends up going to waste.#Frugal Family Meals: #CornishPasty #Stuffed #Bread #Bowls @recipe_thisClick To Tweet
How Frugal Is Cornish Pasty Stuffed Bread Bowls?
Our cornish pasty stuffed bread rolls recipe works out at 2,47€ for a family of four or 0,62€ each. Or if you are based in America then this is just $0.69 per mouth that you have to feed!
- Firstly warm up your Cornish Pasty filling so that it is warm put not piping hot.
- Make sure your bread has been at room temperature so that it is not too hard. Slice the top of it like a pie lid and then remove about ⅔ of the centre. This will then create a big hole for your filling.
- Rub into your hands the olive oil and spread this around the lining of the inside of the bread bowl.
- Fill the bread with the Cornish Pasty filling until it is 90% full.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake in the oven at 170c for 25 minutes or until the centre is nicely hot and the bread is warm.