Welcome to my latest recipe in the Dutch Oven and today is all about the baked turkey and spaghetti. Full to bursting with cheese, green vegetables, spaghetti and turkey this shouts out comfort food heaven and it is perfect for families.
I know I don’t blog about my Dutch Oven often enough. I have my slow cooker, my air fryer, my Instant Pot and endless other kitchen gadgets and it often means that my Dutch Oven gets forgotten about unless I am freezing cold and want it to warm up my house.
I also find that when I cook with my Dutch Oven that it is for either a whole chicken or a pasta dish. Well to prove that I am on form today it is another pasta dish.
But not just any pasta dish. Today we are talking the best of the best with a delicious spaghetti bake.
It is a throw everything into your Dutch Oven, sauté it, mix in the pasta and then top it with cheese. Its so easy and I made it for the first time with a toddler in the kitchen with me and a colicky baby starring back at me.
This makes it perfect for when you are in a rush or when you can’t give a dish your full attention.
Then let it cook away in the oven and then serve it with some warm crusty bread and share it with your partner and kids.
We are a family of 5 and still ended up with some leftover and it went into the fridge to eat the next day.
Or if you are not a fan of spaghetti then swap it for other pastas.#DutchOven #Baked #Turkey & Spaghetti #Recipe via recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- Dutch Oven
- 1 Large Onion peeled and diced
- 4 Frozen Spinach Cubes
- 1 Green Pepper sliced
- 450 g Tinned Tomatoes
- 2 Small Carrots peeled and spiralized
- Handful Spaghetti
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Puree
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/3 Turkey Leg leftover meat shredded from bones
- 250 ml Turkey Stock
- 150 ml Red Wine
- 250 g White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Basil
- 2 Tbsp Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- Place your Dutch Oven on the hob and on a medium heat sauté your onion with the garlic and olive oil. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onion has softened.
- Add the spinach and keep mixing for about 5 minutes or until the spinach is blended into the onions.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, turkey stock, turkey, green pepper, carrot and seasoning.
- Break the spaghetti into quarters and mix into the casserole so that it is evenly distributed.
- Mix in the red wine and mix well.
- Cover with a good 2cm layer of cheese, turn off the hob and place the lid on your Dutch Oven.
- Place in the oven on a 200c heat for 30 minutes.
I use tinned whole tomatoes. They’re much cheaper than cubed and you can bash them with the wooden spoon when cooking and they will split for you.
The Best Ever Crockpot Turkey Leg
As mentioned this recipe is the first of our campaign for saving money by purchasing cheap turkeys at Christmas and then using them a few months later. We made this from a leftover turkey leg and that leg then went on to make even more recipes with it. We call it buying smart and still enjoying great food but without it breaking the bank.
If you don’t have leftover turkey meat in your fridge (like we do) then you can follow the turkey leg recipe above.