Welcome to my Bernard Matthews Copycat Mini Kievs In The Airfryer.
My mum used to have my dinner waiting for me when I got home from school. There were the cans of macaroni cheese, the cans of spaghetti bolognese, the cheap meatballs that looked like dog food and of course the cans of soup.
But what I looked forward to the most was the mini kievs by Bernard Matthews. This was like heaven on a plate and so delicious. Then with anything that is a treat you really look forward to it.
The reason it was usually a treat was because you only got two portions worth in a bag and with the cheesy centre many people considered it to be unhealthy.
Now living out in Portugal it is double in price, I am assuming due to export costs and with us no longer having processed foods I must not have bought it for at least 3 years.
But I miss it and I wanted to make my own version. The traditional Bernard Matthews Mini Kiev recipe calls for turkey which is very hard to get outside of Christmas at a reasonable price so we are using chicken breast in ours. And along with a delicious creamy soft cheese centre it is like heaven. This especially applies to the kids as it makes a brilliant dinner for them, served with potatoes and vegetables for dinner.
Plus when Dominic made them for the blog even Sofia liked them and she is always super fussy with anything that is not pureed. So if she likes them then they must be good!#BernardMatthews #Copycat Mini Kievs In The #Airfryer via recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- Start by mincing your chicken breasts. Place them in the food processor and mince them up until they resemble chicken mince.
- In a small bowl mix together soft cheese, garlic puree and parsley until you have a delicious soft cheese filling for your mini kievs.
- Place the wholemeal bread in the airfryer and harden it for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes take it out and break it up into bread crumbs.
- Place the breadcrumbs in one dish mixed with some salt and pepper, egg in another, cheese filling in a third and the flour in the fourth. Then your chicken should still be sat in the food processor.
- Make the mini kievs. Flour your hands first as they will be very sticky, placed a heaped teaspoon of chicken into your hand, make it flat like a burger and add a thumb nail size of your soft cheese filling and nip it together so that it is like a meatball. Roll it in the flour, roll it in the egg and then finish it off with rolling it in the bread crumbs.
- Do this until you have run out of chicken but for a small to medium size you can expect 8-10 breadcrumbs.
- Then place in the airfryer for 10 minutes on 180c.