Air Fryer Chicken Teriyaki Bowls
This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Air Fryer Chicken Teriyaki Bowls. Combing the great talents of the air fryer and the instant pot to bring you these delicious chicken teriyaki bowls. Made with air fryer teriyaki chicken, air fryer roasted peppers and instant pot Chinese fried rice, this is meal prep in the kitchen gadgets at its best.
Air Fryer Chicken Teriyaki Bowls
Long story short, these air fryer chicken teriyaki bowls were meant to be made for my eldest son Kyle to take with him to a sporting competition.
It was going to be in early March 2020 after he had spent a couple of years training up to being really good in frisbee.
He was excited. He had worked he butt of for it. He gave up having girlfriends and going out with his friends and just went to college, worked for us and trained for his frisbee.
Sadly, it was cancelled, and he never got the opportunity.
But what also had been planned was what meal prep to do for Kyle that he could take with him.
He has fallen in love with my instant pot brown rice in recent weeks and I wanted to fill up my skinny 18 year old lad with some tasty chicken and rice.
With Kyle’s love for Chinese food we decided that what would be delicious would be some air fryer chicken teriyaki bowls.
Of course, there would be plenty leftover so his mum that loves Chinese food more than him, could enjoy some for lunch too!
Even though Kyle didn’t get the chance to go to his frisbee tournament we still made these delicious chicken teriyaki bowls and they were so good, we made enough to last us a couple of days.
Air Fryer For Meal Prep
I am not big on meal prep or freezer meals compared to some of my friends and our readers on the blog.
This is because I work from home and one of my biggest passions is heading into the kitchen and planning lunch and dinner.
Instead I am more into what’s leftover, goes into the freezer, rather than meal prep.
BUT. I have a husband that doesn’t like all the same foods as me and I miss certain foods that I don’t make much for myself as he doesn’t like them. He hates rice. He hates lentils. He hates curry.
I have a freezer of leftover meals for me of lentil curries and rice side dishes which I love having for when he is having something that I am not interested in.
I do meal prep occasionally though. And when I do, I love how much easier it makes meals and can see why others do it.
But what I notice is that hardly anyone meal preps for does make ahead meals for the air fryer, when the air fryer is fantastic for this.
Instant Pot Brown Fried Rice + Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken
I love the fact that I have many kitchen gadgets and I can have them working together to produce delicious meals.
When we made our air fryer chicken teriyaki bowls, I used 2 air fryers and 1 instant pot. Though it would be easy enough to do it with one of each or use the instant pot with the Mealthy Crisplid or use a Ninja Foodi.
- Air Fryer #1 chargrilled the red peppers
- Air Fryer #2 cooked teriyaki chicken breast chunks
- Instant Pot made delicious Chinese fried rice
Then when they beeped the teriyaki meal prep bowls came together and they were ready to fridge for later or eat now.
How To Air Fry Teriyaki Chicken?
Making teriyaki chicken bowls is EASY and it’s more about organising yourself and making sure that things cook at the right time so that you don’t spend all day in the kitchen.
Chicken Teriyaki Bowl Instructions:
- Dice your peppers and dice your chicken. Get your instant pot Chinese fried rice cooking in the instant pot.
- Cook your red pepper first and then put to one side.
- Cook your chicken breast in a second air fryer or wait for the first one to finish.
- Load up your fluffed up brown rice, teriyaki chicken and peppers into bowls.
Remember you can print out our instant pot Chinese fried rice and make the brown rice ahead of your chicken teriyaki if you prefer.
Or if you would like plain rice to follow our instant pot brown rice recipe.
Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken Thighs
Confession time. I couldn’t get hold of any boneless and skinless chicken breast that I would normally use in my air fryer teriyaki chicken.
In the end I went with some delicious turkey breast that I bought in bulk instead.
You could use chicken thighs, chicken breast, pork or turkey in this teriyaki recipe.
Though, my first choice would be boneless and skinless chicken thighs as they have a wonderful flavour.
But sadly, I can’t get any of these without going across the border into Spain.
Make Ahead Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
Putting everything together and creating your make ahead teriyaki chicken bowls is EASY.
I made the instant pot fried rice first and loaded it into bowls and into meal prep containers.
I made extra brown rice because I love it so much and put it into containers ready for the freezer.
Then once the red peppers were cooked, I loaded it into the containers too, making sure there was plenty of room left for the chicken teriyaki.
When the chicken teriyaki beeps and I added extra sauce, I loaded it into the bowls, and it was ready to serve.
If you plan on having it for some quick lunches or other meals on the go, then wait for it to cool down before you seal and fridge them for later in the week.
Or if like me you have a rice hater in your family, then try it Dominic’s way over noodles rather than rice:
Tastes just as good and perfect for if you are short on rice or don’t have an instant pot for making brown rice.
Air Fryer Chicken Teriyaki Bowls
Air Fryer Chicken Teriyaki Recipe Ingredients:
- 400 g Instant Pot Chinese Fried Rice
- 200 g Air Fryer Roasted Peppers
- 700 g Chicken Breast
- Blue Dragon Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 Tsp Chinese Five Spice
- Salt & Pepper
- Start the cooking process of your Chinese fried rice in the instant pot first as this has the longest cook time.
- Dice your peppers, sprinkle with Chinese 5 spice and salt and pepper and load them into the air fryer grill. Or if you have just one air fryer, add them to the air fryer when the chicken teriyaki is cooking without its foil.
- Dice your chicken breast, add to a layer of silver foil, load in the teriyaki sauce, seal the silver foil packet and cook for 5 minutes at 180c/360f. This will kickstart the marinade into the chicken and improve the cooking flavour.
- Remove the silver foil and cook the chicken breast without the sauce from the packet for a further 10 minutes at 180c/360f. If cooking the peppers together add the peppers after 3 minutes.
- Shake add extra teriyaki sauce and cook for a final 3 minutes at 200c/400f.
- Assemble your chicken teriyaki bowls and serve or keep for later.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Facebook Group | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more:
Would never have thought of using air fryer chicken for meal prep. Thanks for this great idea!
Thanks for the great recipe. Plan to do this with some teriyaki sauce that i have in the pantry.
Loved this one! Perfect quick and easy air fryer chicken dish. Works well with a side of noodles too…